A swim club for parents was part of Bert’s original concept for the camp. It was promoted in the very first brochure in 1956:
When the auditorium complex was built in 1964, it was planned as an exclusive area for the swim club. Plans included a locker room and a new pool to be built on the treehouse field.
Members of the swim club were able to meet their children at camp and have dinner as a family. They also had access to the facilities on weekends. In the 70’s it was promoted as the “Weekend Club”:
Posts related to the Swim Club:
Terrace under construction in 1964. The window on the right would later become a door:
Newly constructed auditorium and office (at right) in 1964. The office window would be replaced by a door and a full kitchen installed to prepare food for the Swim/Weekend Club. The building was out-of-bounds during camp and was largely unused from the 80’s onward.
Arts & crafts in front of the “The Terrace”. Notice door instead of window.
Original design for the Terrace:
After the Swim Club wound down, all of the kitchen supplies were moved into two storage closets built on either side of the stage in the auditorium and remained there until camp closed.
Shuffleboard & Ping Pong
In the swim area, there were 2 shuffleboard areas and several ping-pong tables. These were built for the swim club and because they were within the swim fences they were not initially available for campers. Eventually, 2 of the shuffleboard courts near the I pool were made accessible when the fence was moved.
When the locker room was built, approximately 400 wire baskets were purchased to fit inside the lockers.
These baskets were initially used by Swim Club members in the 1960’s. After the Swim Club closed in the 70’s, some of these baskets continued to be used in the locker room by campers. A large number were stored away in the various swim buildings, but some found other uses around camp.
Many were used in Central Supply. Cabin requisitions were filled and placed in the baskets. Consellors would pick up the baskets and return them – along with any left-over materials – when they were finished their activites.
These are 2 of the actual baskets purchased in 1959:
Some baskets were used to store records, like this one marked “SEPT 1976”:
This basket shows the original numbered badge. The baskets – made by Andrews Wire Works in Watford, Ontario – were originally bare metal. Some time after they were purchased, many were painted blue. This paint has almost fully worn off: