There were many (at least 50) of these benches made on-site by Fio Parravano and his staff in the late 1950’s. They were used in the Arts & Crafts and Pottery cabins and were also found in most camper cabins as well.
This one was in the photography shed and was autographed by staff in 1982.
When the locker room was built, approximately 400 wire baskets were purchased to fit inside the lockers.
These baskets were initially used by Swim Club members in the 1960’s. After the Swim Club closed in the 70’s, some of these baskets continued to be used in the locker room by campers. A large number were stored away in the various swim buildings, but some found other uses around camp.
Many were used in Central Supply. Cabin requisitions were filled and placed in the baskets. Consellors would pick up the baskets and return them – along with any left-over materials – when they were finished their activites.
These are 2 of the actual baskets purchased in 1959:
Some baskets were used to store records, like this one marked “SEPT 1976”:
This basket shows the original numbered badge. The baskets – made by Andrews Wire Works in Watford, Ontario – were originally bare metal. Some time after they were purchased, many were painted blue. This paint has almost fully worn off:
Acquired by Jennifer in 1986 after purchasing the camp from Bert.
The actual nameplate from the front of this cart:
Forest Valley provided clean white towels to campers for each swim – twice daily. Keeping these towels clean was a major endeavour. Laundry trucks made twice-daily visits to pick up and return towels. Towels were given to campers before each swim and were to be placed into laundry baskets after use. The maintenance staff collected the towels from the various locations and prepared them for pick-up.
Original towel design. 1960’s:
First Forest Valley towel. Mid-60’s:
Second towel design. 1970’s and 1980’s:
Third towel design. 1990’s:
Zoolus on the first truck (a 1971 GMC Pickup) in 1983.
Specialty staff in front of the second truck in 1982:
For several years, both trucks were on the site.
Magnetic Vehicle Signs
Used by drivers while monitoring bus routes.
Signs made in 1988 and used for several years:
1960’s Bus Signs: