Photos taken by a staff member.
2017 Note: This page started as a small reference to the plaza where Bathurst Manor / Forest Valley Day Camp purchased many daily supplies. It has developed into what appears to be the only comprehensive source of information about the plaza.
A frequent destination for camp purchases, Bathurst Manor Plaza (a.k.a. Wilmington Plaza) was built in 1957 during the development of the area. Throughout the 1960’s and 1970’s, it was a bustling community plaza with a wide variety of stores and services.
This sign introduced the plaza to the neighbourhood:
During Construction. The 2-storey south section and the Dominion (later Sunnybrook) store were built first. 1957:
A gas station was added in 1961:
An addition was built in 1984:
A third addition was added later for “Edith’s Fashions.” This building was spared from demolition in 2017 – likely to be used as a sales office for the new development:
The plaza was original referred to as “Bathurst Manor Plaza”. Later, it became know as “Wilmington Plaza”
Partial List of Stores
Ann Biederman Frocks
Bagel Nook (The)
Barber Shop (Roger Williams)
Bathurst Manor Cleaners
Bathurst Manor Food Centre
Bathurst Manor Fruit Market
Clover Printing and Labels
Country Style Donuts (Kosher)
Dollar Guys (Ali)
Fagot’s Hardware (Later, Metro Hardware) Aby Moses & Family
Fisherman’s Table Restaurant
Gary’s Sports Cards
GoGo Luggage & Leather
Hopedale Drugatieria (Later Shoppers Drug Mart) Fred Stall/Harvey Pearlston
King David Pizza (Uri Hazan)
Knights of the Campus Boys Wear
The Leather Mart
Lisary Bags & Luggage
Little Caesar’s (Before King David Pizza)
Man About Town (Alessandro DeRosa)
Red Ruby Restaurant
Ronit Originals – Unisex Italian Leather Fashions
Shoppers Drug Mart
Sunnybrook (formerly Dominion)
Variety Store / Smoke Shop / Krivy’s Cigar Store
Wilmington Convenience & Produce (Terry Kim)
Bathurst Manor Service Centre (Morris & Alex)
Originally Shell. Later Pioneer. Owned by Mr. Pasternack
At one time, a guy named Rocco took care of the plaza.
Partial List of Office Tenants:
110 – 120 Overbrook Place
MCI Medical Clinics
Dr. Irving Zelcer
Dr. Harriet Train
Dr. Alan Sandler
Dr. Gerry Cohen
Dr. May Cohen
Riaboy & Anic Engineering Ltd
New Fraternal Jewish Association
Terry Leuty Real Estate (Harold “Husky” Goldkind)
Overbrook Medical Centre
A video of the plaza. ca. 1990:
A collection of ads from local newspapers.
Prior to the closing of Shoppers Drug Mart:
Following the closure of Sunnybrook in the mid 1980s, business declined in the plaza. Many stores closed. Some new tenants moved in, but did not stay long. In the early 2000’s, major tenants like CIBC, LCBO, & Shoppers Drug Mart left the plaza. Without these core tenants to draw traffic, the remaining stores struggled to survive.
Photos from the 2000s:
The phone numbers for the 2 pay phones:
In July, 2016, the plaza closed. It was boarded up in November 2016.
Several news articles about the closing.
Demolition of the plaza began in February 2017. The building formerly used by Edith’s fashions (facing Wilmington) looks like it will be retained – likely to be used as a sales office for future development:
Proposals have been in the works since 2006.
Link to City of Toronto Development Page: http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=b0f30621f3161410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD
From 2012 Plan:
This video was made in 1984 by Del Schwartz – the camp photographer.
These photos were taken during a photography period in 1981. They were finally printed for the first time in 2016!
Worn by instructors at Hockey Camp held at Chesswood Arenas.
Fish & Chips – 1986